This document sets out the way in which Base64 Pty Ltd (we, us) collect, use, store and disclose personal information in accordance with our obligations under the Privacy Act.
In this policy:
- Personal Information has the meaning given under the Privacy Act but, in short, means information or an opinion relating to an individual that can be used to identify that individual.
- Privacy Act means the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) as amended from time to time.
- Services means event services, office rental and other services of a legal and commercial nature that we provide.
- Web Site means www.base64.com.au and other websites and forms of social media where you post comments or we interact with you.
What we collect and why
To provide you with our Services, we may need to collect Personal Information. If any of the Personal Information you provide is incomplete or inaccurate, we may be unable to provide Services to you or the quality of those Services may be compromised.
The nature of the relationship we have with you and the Services you require will determine the personal and other information we collect. The information may include:
- your name, email address, telephone numbers and address;
- Personal Information which is provided to us by you or a third party;
- bank details, credit card details and expiry dates; and
- information contained in a CV if you apply for a position with us.
How we collect it
We aim to collect Personal Information directly from you, for example, when you send us information, during interviews and meetings with you, from business cards and during telephone calls.
We may also collect Personal Information:
- from our residents;
- from credit reporting and fraud checking agencies;
- from debt collection agencies if you default in a payment to us;
- through our web site and by other electronic communication channels (e.g. when you send us an email or post a comment on one of our blogs);
- from third parties;
- from publicly available sources of information; and
- when we’re permitted or required to do so by law (including the Privacy Act).
Use of Personal Information
We use the Personal Information we collect for the purpose of providing our Services.
We may also use the Personal Information:
- to comply with our contractual and other legal obligations;
- for insurance purposes;
- subject to you advising us otherwise (see Marketing below), to advise you of additional services or information which may be of interest to you; and
- otherwise as permitted under the Privacy Act.
If you default in a payment to us, we may use your Personal Information to recover that debt.
We don’t provide your personal information to any other person for marketing purposes.
From time to time we may use your personal information to provide you with information about what we’re doing, or to invite you to events we’re holding. If at any time you don’t wish to receive any additional material from us, just get in touch (details below) and we will remove your details from our marketing database.
Disclosing personal information
We may disclose your Personal Information to third parties in certain circumstances including:
- if you agree to the disclosure;
- when we use it for the purpose for which it was collected, e.g. to provide you with Services;
- in circumstances where you would reasonably expect information of that kind to be passed to a third party (e.g. as a result of disclosure in a court action); or
- where disclosure is required or permitted by law (including under the Privacy Act).
The way that the Internet is built means that information exchanged via the Internet may be accessed and used by people other than those for whom the data is intended. If you send us any information, including Personal Information, it’s sent through the Internet or other electronic means at your own risk.
How we act to protect and retain your personal information
We’ll do our very best to keep our information systems and files secured from unauthorised access. Our procedures to securely store Personal Information include electronic and physical security measures, staff training and use of password protection software.
Personal Information may be retained if we consider it necessary to do so or to comply with any applicable law or our insurance, governance obligations in our IT back-up records, for the collection of any monies owed and to resolve disputes.
Personal Information of Job Applicants
If you apply for a job with us we will collect Personal Information about you. This will include contact information as well as information in your CV.
We will collect Personal Information from you directly and may also collect Personal Information from third parties (for example referees or employment agencies) or from publicly available sources (such as social media sites).
We will only use or disclosure your Personal Information for the purpose of:
- considering your job application;
- creating an employment relationship with you (if your application is successful); or
- otherwise as permitted by law (including under the Privacy Act).
How you can update or correct your Personal Information
You can request access to your Personal Information or correct any inaccurate or out of date information by contacting us using the details below. For security purposes, before we provide you with personal information, we may ask you to provide evidence of your identity.
More information about your rights and our obligations in respect to privacy and information on making a privacy complaint are available from the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner at:
Post: GPO Box 5218 Sydney NSW 2001